Monday, January 5, 2009

The Southeastern Anatolian Project (GAP)-Ataturk Dam


The Southeastern Anatolian Project is Turkey's largest and most multifaceted development project, and also, one of the largest development projects in the world. The project includes active farming with extensive irrigation systems and electricity production; following these are tourism, mining, petrol,education, health, comminication, industry and transport sectors.

The Southeastern Anatolia Project covers the lower parts of the Firat and Dicle rivers; and Gazi Antep, Sanli Urfa, Adiyaman, Diyarbakir, mardin.htm, Siirt, Batman and Sirnak, which are situated on the plains between the rivers. This project will also bring with it a change in climate to the area.

The Ataturk Dam and Hydroelectric Plant, the largest in Turkey and the sixth largest in the world, is situated in the Bozova town of Sanli Urfa. Ataturk Dam, which is the major foundation of the Southeastern Anatolia Project, is important not only for energy production but also for irrigation.

The water obtained from the reservoirs of the Ataturk Dam on the Firat river is going to be carried to the Harran plain by the Sanli Urfa Tunnel System. The Sanli Urfa Tunnel System is the largest in the world, in terms of its length and flow rate. The waters of the Firat river will pass through tunnels which are 26.4 kilometers in length and 7.62 meters in diameter, and be distributed to the vast cropland on the Southeastern Anatolian plains from central and side channels, bringing a production boom and prosperity to the region.

source: about-turkey.com

Corum Hattusas

All the major early-Hittite sites lie in the province of Corum in Bogazkale National Park, between Yozgat and the city of Corum. Impressive double walls, which are situated by the Royal Gate,the Lion Gate and the Yer Kapi (an underground tunnel), ring the Hittite city of Hattusas, known today as Bogazkale. This city, the Hittite religious center was known as the City of Temples because over 70 temples stood there. The largest ruins are those of the great temple of the storm god Tesup. The Acropolis contained government buildings the Imperial Palace and the archives of the Hittite Empire. In 1180 B.C the Phrygians devastated the city. After thorough excavations at the site, the city walls are now being extensively restored.

Yazilikaya, an open-air rock pantheon dating from the 13th century B.C. contains fine reliefs of all the Hittite gods and goddesses. Alacahoyuk, north of Bogazkale on the road to Corum, was the center of the flourishing Hattian culture during the Bronze Age. The magnificent Hattian gold and bronze objects in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara were found in the Royal Tombs of this period. All the remaining ruins at Alacahoyuk,however, such as the Sphinx Gate,date from the Hittite period.
Corum, an important city on the road from central Anatolia to the Black Sea, produces the finest chickpeas in Turkey.Significant historical buildings include the 13th century Ulu Mosque and the 19th century clock tower.

source: about-turkey.com


Another intriguing historical place located in the Pamphylian plain is Aspendos. Situated 47 km east of Antalya and 37 km west of Side it is situated near the Belkis village. Not too far from the Mediterranean shore either, the Köprü Çayi stream runs beside this ancient city.

If vacation means action, adventure and exploration for you and not just lazing by the beach or the swimming pool, Aspendos certainly lives up to it.

Aspendos is in existence from the 5th century B.C. and was built during the reign of Marcus Aurelius (2nd century B.C.) by a renowned architect known by the name of Zenon. A parallel historical account shows that the city was actually built in the 13th century B.C. by Mopsus. However by the 6th century it came under Lydian rule but was soon conquered by the Persian king Cyrus. Two centuries later Alexander the Great occupied this city but later with the Romans rising in power, Aspendos became inclined to Rome. In fact, it was a major port city during the Roman supremacy with Koprucay acting as the channel for conveyance. Records show that it was under the Seljuk control soon after.

Summer is not a good option to visit Aspendos, as it is too crowded. However, summer also hosts the Aspendos Opera and Ballet Festival held at the ancient theater. These festivals take place between mid-June and mid-August.

Antalya is the best possible base from, which you could travel to Aspendos. The whole journey will take around 50min and you could either hire a car or take a guided tour. If you are driving down to Aspendos take the highway from Antalya towards Sillyon and after crossing Sillyon travel for 12km, turn left and stay on the road for another 5 kms.

Another way is to travel on the Antalya-Alanya highway and travel towards Serik. After crossing Serik you take to the north direction and travel for 4km.

source: turkeyforyou.com

Thursday, September 11, 2008


History of Antalya in brief
Antalya and its environs, since the Paleolithic to today is inhabited. The plant Iliade of Homeros, some of Antalya place names mentioned, and that shows us that in this area, which in ancient times was called Pamphilia, in the year 1200 BC a local people lived. The area was the first time in the Kingdom of the Lydier by the Persians, and Alexander the great conquered. In the 2nd Century BC was the western section of Pamphilia by the King of Pergamon, the Attalos II, conquered, and the King, on the west coast of the Mediterranean city 'Attalia', so today's city of Antalya. The city is named after the death of the III. Attalos, to the Roman Empire, and from 4 Century AD transferred to the Byzantium. In 1207 the Seljuk conquered the city and the Turkish-Islamic era began. The city came at the end of the 14th C. Under the rule of the Ottomans.

History Museum
At the end of the First World War, when Antalya under occupation by the Italians, some Italian archaeologists have begun, allegedly on behalf of civilization in the centre and around the city aufgefundenen archaeological value pieces to the Italian consulate to drag. In order to stop these activities, the teacher in Sultani, the Lord Suleyman Fikri the Governor asked him as competent officials for historical works on the subject, and began the historical works collected in the center and tries, the Museum of Antalya to establish.

The museum was founded in 1922 in the mosque Alâeddin founded, but was in 1937 in the mosque Yivli, and, most recently in today's building. In 1982, it was because of extensive restoration and repair needs closed, and after the restoration and exhibition activities of the Directorate-General for museums and historical works, in April of 1985 in the new modern style again for the visit opened.

The museum has 13 exhibition halls, a department for children and courtyards. The works, mostly from the area, they are mostly in kronologischer, but also thematic order.

Natural history and prehistory

In addition to the three shop windows with various fossils of geological periods, even the carved stones, Handbeile, Kratzwerkzeuge, and tools out of bone issued from the Karain Cave come, and stratigraphy of cultures of the first inhabitants of Anatolia, to Paläolithischen to the Roman period.

The Karain Cave is 27 km away in the northwest of Antalya in the calcified Şam-Ausläufen of the mountain. In the cave were below the 10.5 m thick sand filling some findings from the Paleolithic period, and also remains of the teeth and skeleton of the Neanderthalers of mezolitischen time.

Semayük is a centre in the old Bronze Age can be seen. Most works are tombstones. Cups with different forms, stamps, brush handles, idols and especially the grave with quadratförmige gifts are sehenswürdig. The interesting aspect of this funeral is that the corpse in the position of an embryo in the belly of the mother in the grave quadratförmige is inserted.

Hall of small works - I
After the Tonrad was invented, is the art of ceramics at an advanced stage. Here are the forms of vases and their processing methods in a sequence of 12 Century BC until 3 Century BC.

Two shop windows in this part are interesting findings as Schminkmateriale and jewellery assigned.

Hall of the gods
Aphrodite, Tykhe, Athena, Artemis, Nemesis, Hygieia, Hermes, Dioskurlar, which is the main god Zeus anreihen, and the Egyptian Serapis, the son of Isis and Harpokrates are the gods in this room. The statues are the Roman Zweitfertigungen the Greek originals, 2 Jh.n.Chr. and all were in the Search in Perge.

Hall of small works - II
In the shop windows are exquisite works of 4 Jh.v.Chr. to 6 Century AD. The vase, to the Queen of Egypt Benerike gift, the silver platter of Athena, the statues of Apollo and Hercules in bronze, the head of Attis, the marble statue of Priapos, and small statues made of clay and marble are some copies of the exhibition .

In the underwater showcase finds from the ancient submerged vessels.

Hall of the emperors
The most beautiful examples of the portraits, which the main character of Roman sculpture, are in this hall to see. All the statues were in the excavations at Perge.

The reason that the statues from the 2.-3. Century AD in the majority, it is because it is the most splendid period in the historical course.

In addition to the portrait statues of emperors Traian, Hadrian, Septimius Severus, Sabina, Faustina, Julia Domna, Julia Soemias, Plankia Magna, there are also the statues of the three Hübschen, and the black-and-white marble statue of a dancer to the interesting examples.

Hall of graves - Culture
The two sarcophagi in the hall include the Domitias Filiskas and his family. The lid is when the couple to sleep. The Eros in the corners is the happiness of the family. The other main sarcophagi are to 2nd Estimated century AD and refers to Herakles. One of these tombs is an amazing example for the smuggling of historical works in our country. The sarcophagus was broken and some parts were smuggled abroad. Later, in a part of America in 1983 and returned to their proper place mounted.

In the hall are also in line with their original item findings in the grave and ash pots.

Halls of mosaics and icons
The mosaic is the most important, in the excavations in Seleukeia found Philosopher's mosaic, as the famous philosopher, speaker, historian and mathematician of the ancient time as Solon, Tukydides, Lykurgos, Heredotos, Demostenes, Hesiodos with their names displayed. On a broader mosaic of Seleukeia Orpheus is the description of his instrument with wild animals enchant.

In this section there are also examples of local sculpture, Spitz various tools, and corners for the technique of bronze statues.

The icons, in a separate hall issued come from the vicinity of Antalya and are mainly from the 18.-19. Century AD

Hall of coins
In this hall is from 6 Century AD to the 2500 year old tradition of minting coins in Anatolia, their technology and economy in a way to inform published. In the exhibition, especially the urban coins of Pamphilia, Pisidia, Likia, and the coins will also be the classic, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman period in chronological order and predominantly local nature.

In this section are also found the treasures of gold and silver.

Ethnographic halls
The etnographischen our museum rooms consist of two large halls and a passage of these halls.

In the first hall are the tiles, porcelain, religious works, watches, jewelry, castles, keys, and clothes.

The tiles are works from the seldschukischen and Ottoman period. The seldschukischen the tiles were brought from Aspendos and have the Kubadâbat type and were in the middle of the 13th Century AD with the "Sıraltı" technology.

The Ottoman tiles in the form of quadratförmigen plates are examples of the art at work in Iznik 15-16-17 and 18 Century

The five porcelain plates are products of the factory Yildiz, until the end of the year 1920 a very short time work.

Religious works are objects that are almost in every place of Anatolia be seen. But the Koran by the time seldschukischen is a special work from our country.

In a showcase, the awards, stamps, talismans and watches. The talismans are Anbetungen magic and the magic has different purposes.

The jewels are the finest examples of the jewelry, which is still used in Antalya.

These are the key castles and also works as a special.

The clothes are divided into two groups, such as embroidered velvet dresses and nomads material. Among nomads dresses are stockings, pants, skirts, eingenähte bags, wraps substances and headgear.

In the passage to the second hall with religious songs, Anbetungen, awards and other writings labeled portraits of the old script artists.

The second hall is divided into four groups such as carpets, nomadic material, facilities, and weapons.

In this hall is next to the local plants and materials including carpets from the towns of Uşak, Gördes, Lâdik, Mucur, Bergama, Kula, and Avanos. The oldest carpet from our carpet collection is a carpet of the 16th century Uşak

The Döşemealtı - carpets are an important part of etnographischen works. Döşemealtı is the name of a large area in the north-east of Antalya. The oldest and traditionsentsprechende example of Döşemealtı - carpets, which we very different compositions have seen, are the carpets with the name "Halelli. They are plants with Nomadenkharacter and mostly with young masses.

The tissues come from Antalya, such as bags, backpacks, prayer rugs and column cladding, the technique of sili, cicim, sumak and kilim and nomads are as interesting works.

A part of the hall is a modest house in Antalya with living room, bedroom, bathroom and dar.

In a part of the show windows are various weapons and auxiliary materials, Arrow, archery and arms up to knives, from pistols with caps and detonators to guns and swords, from exercise rooms to gunpowder, powder measuring tools and Ölkannen.

Incidentally are also weighing tools and work benches with the names istar, mutaf and el çufalığı, and musical instruments and spoons are also included amongst the local plants.

The flute with envelope, the nomads and Spritzspiessgeige and the whistle from the wing bones of a eagle are interesting examples of musical instruments.

The spoon comes from the village in the district Bademli Cevizli the city Kaşıklar, and will be from the design stage through to the finished product in a sequence.

Department of Children
A hall at the entrance of the museum is a children's museum and is the first example in our country.

In the shop windows in this hall are the children toys and savings rifle collection of various ancient times.

To known historical works and to arouse interest, in the studio department some light repairs, teaching hours of work with ceramics, statues, pictures and designed the works.


During a aufenthaltes Izmir in 1930 decided to Ataturk, in the light of cold weather in the warm climate of Antalya for a few days holiday. On 5 March he made with the car on the road and met for İsparta and Burdur on 6 March 1930 in the afternoon in Antalya. The population of Antalya was the right and left of the road espalier, from the coast to the city led. In order to clock 16.00 Ataturk was on the "Tophane" solemnly place a villa as a gift. Ataturk moved immediately for a short time there. When he briefly appeared on the balcony, cheered him a huge crowd. With a short speech thanked the citizens of Ataturk in Antalya.

At night, he took part in a meeting of the "Turk Ocak", with the young people there the country's problems to discuss. At midnight he returned to Villa. Ataturk remained until the morning of the 12th March 1930 in Antalya. During this time, he undertook several trips to historic sites and museums and met with the owners for Zitrusfruchtplantagen to technical discussions. On 12 March 1930, he traveled recovered well with his travel companions again.

Even if Ataturk on 10.2.1931 at midday again arrived in Antalya, he remained this time not for a long time. He was with the steamer "Aegean" of Izmir from Silifke to go. His third visit in Antalya fell to February 1935. Ataturk was 16.2. with the steamboat departed from Izmir and on Sunday, 18.2.1935 at 13.30 in the port of Antalya. He was accompanied by his sister Makbule Atadan, Nebile Hanım, Prof. Afet Inan, Farettin Altay, Nuri Conker, Cevat Abbas Gürer and its Adjudanten. At the pier, the group climbed carriages and went straight to the Villa Atatürk where all ausruhten until the evening. At night we went to Erenkuş, spent the night in the villa. The next day at 22.20 clock, the Aegean steamer with Ataturk and his tour group and took off course in Taşucu.

The two Atatürk stone villa is equipped with a tile roof. You enter through the entrance at first a long corridor to his right side a salon, one bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Within the two salons, a staircase to the upper floor up. There are seven rooms, one of which is a balcony. Ataturk was always the room directly opposite the stairs.

After Atatürk death was the first villa in a private administration on before them as "Art Institute and Academy for Girls" was used. 1952 took over the Ministry of Agriculture of the building to bring it in the following years for the management of agricultural technology to use. 1980, the property in the possession of the Ministry of Culture, was restored as a museum and the public.


Chosen as the European Museum of the Year 1997, is the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations located on the hill with the old citadel of Ankara, in the district Atpazari called (the horse-market). The museum occupies two Ottoman buildings, specifically renovated and have been modified to take part in her new role to fit. In accordance with the proposal by Ataturk, Hittite that a museum should be established, a leader Anatoly civilization project was initiated to all art products, and other vestiges of civilization hittite results in Ankara to collect. The project is launched and the company broadens Museum is in one of the most important museums in the world, the unique collections. The museum is Palaeolithic, Neolithisch, Chalcolithic, Late Bronze Age, Hittite, Phrygia, Urartu and late Hittite departments.


Amasya Museum, the more than 20,000 relics, hand skills, figurines and displays of Hittite, Roman and Ottoman periods Seljukid relieved was first founded in 1925 limited in two rooms of Külliyesi Beyazıt II in the form of storage. The current building has been in operation since 1980.

The figurines of Teshup, the Hittite storm God, in the excavations to Doğantepe 1962 was found, is now on display and enjoys a large international fame. Other figurines and God-relief discovered during excavations of the Boğazköy-Yazılıkaya temple are also among the major asset of the museum. The mummies of the Islamic (Ilhanli) Period of Anatolia preserved in Sultan I. Mesut-grave site is equally important.

Extremely improved since its foundation, Amasya museum has grown to the museum's most modern and richest in diversity in the area, and has so extraordinarily for cultural tourism in Turkey.